Next Generation Osteoarthritis Treatment
POWERFUL NEW TREATMENT FOR THE PAIN OF OSTEOARTHRITIS
Cingal® is a unique single-injection treatment proven to safely and effectively treat the pain and certain symptoms associated with osteoarthritis (OA).1 Cingal combines two well-established treatments in a single injection, providing the benefits of both an approved corticosteroid and a proprietary high concentration cross-linked hyaluronic acid formulation. Cingal is a simple treatment performed by a health care professional during an in-office visit.
The corticosteroid reduces inflammation in the knee joint, providing rapid pain relief within days of injection, while the hyaluronic acid component works in parallel to deliver long lasting pain relief proven to last through 6 months.1
how it works
A knee joint affected by osteoarthritis typically has lower concentrations of hyaluronic acid in the synovial fluid, the thick liquid that helps cushion and lubricate the knee. As a result, the synovial fluid in an osteoarthritic knee has lower viscosity and elasticity than healthy synovial fluid, decreasing its ability to lubricate the joint and absorb shocks.
Viscosupplements are hyaluronic acid (HA)-based products designed to supplement the body’s natural HA, providing significant long-term pain relief from the symptoms of osteoarthritis.
the benefits of viscosupplements:
- Proven to be safe and effective
- Provide increased mobility and enhanced joint protection
- Long lasting pain relief demonstrated to last at least through six months*
- Help to delay total knee replacement surgery up to 3 or more years2
- Improve viscoelastic properties of the synovial fluid
- Protect the surface of articular cartilage
- Well established: used for more than 25 years3 for the treatment of OA pain
Steroids work by providing rapid pain relief from the symptoms of osteoarthritis and reducing inflammation.
the benefits of steroids:
- Reduce pain quickly, allowing earlier motion
- Anti-inflammatory effects
- Used for over 45 years4 for the treatment of OA pain
Only Cingal works by combining a fast-acting steroid with a long-lasting viscosupplement in one simple, convenient injection.
the cingal advantage
- Steroid provides fast short-term pain relief within days of injection1
- Steroid treats inflammation in the knee joint5
- Hyaluronic acid (HA) viscosupplement provides long lasting pain relief through 6 months1
- Convenient single-injection treatment
- Simple procedure that can be done in a physician’s office
- Highly concentrated, non-animal based hyaluronic acid (HA)
- Strong safety profile in both an initial injection as well as a repeat injection1,6
Cingal is a unique combination product that delivers strong results so patients with early to moderate osteoarthritis in the knee may once again enjoy daily physical activities with reduced pain.
*In patients with mild to moderate osteoarthritis. Patients with grade IV osteoarthritis may not have the same results. Patient experience may vary.
1. Cingal 13-01, a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, active comparator Phase III study. Anika Therapeutics, Inc.: study sponsor, Dr. Laszlo Hangody: global principal investigator, SynteractHCR: CRO.
2. Altman R., Lim S., Steen R., Dasa V. Hyaluronic Acid Injections Are Associated with Delay of Total Knee Replacement Surgery in Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis: Evidence from a Large U.S. Health Claims Database. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, Volume 23 , A403 – A404; 2015 Dec.
3. Ault A. From the Head of a Rooster To a Smiling Face Near You. New York Times, 2003 Dec.
4. Zoorob R., Cender D. A Different Look at Corticosteroids. Am Fam Physician. 1998 Aug 1;58(2):443-450.
5. Mazzara, J., MD. Cortisone Injections. Connecticut Center for Orthopedic Surgery, LLC., Web: http://www.orthoontheweb.com/pdfs/about_cortisone_injections.pdf
6. Cingal 13-02, an open-label, follow-on study to Cingal 13-01. Anika Therapeutics, Inc.: study sponsor, Dr. Laszlo Hangody: global principal investigator, SynteractHCR: CRO.