Osteoarthritis Knee Pain Relief
Our viscosupplement products are designed to help patients return to their active lives more quickly and naturally.
At Anstem Medical, we are proud to offer a family of viscosupplements to manage pain for all patients - from those with acute sports injuries to patients suffering with degenerative osteoarthritis pain.
Viscosupplements: hyaluronic acid (HA), also called sodium hyaluronate or hyaluronan
What is Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common type of arthritis, also known as degenerative joint disease, for which there is no cure. It is a common, chronic, progressive musculoskeletal disorder.
In an osteoarthritic joint, the surface layer of cartilage gradually breaks down and wears away. The bones in the joint are now exposed and rubbing against each other, causing pain, swelling, and loss of motion. Over time, the joint may lose its normal shape. In addition, small deposits of bone, called bone spurs, may grow on the edges of the joint. These can break off and float inside the joint space, causing even more pain and damage.
Causes of Osteoarthritis
As a person gets older, the body’s ability to heal damaged or lost cartilage decreases.
Younger people can also develop OA due to joint injury.
If there is a family history of OA, the risk for developing the disease increases
Repeated joint stress
Excess weight or overuse of the joint causes stress or increased wear and tear on the joint
If the muscles that surround the joint are weak, added stress is placed on the joint.
If there is a joint malformation or a genetic defect in the joint cartilage.
Areas affected by Osteoarthritis
Spine - Neck & Lower Back
Hands - Fingers & Thumbs
Symptoms of Osteoarthritis
Limitation/Loss of Function
Crackling Noises in Joints
Current Treatment options for Osteoarthritis
For patients who have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis (OA), their physician will determine the best way to treat their condition based on the severity, the pain, and their lifestyle limitations due to OA.
While there is no cure for OA, there are a number of treatment options that can be explored depending on osteoarthritis severity.
- Lifestyle: weight loss, exercise, protecting your knees from excess stress, physical therapy
- Analgesics: simple pain relievers, such as acetaminophen
- NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), such as ibuprofen or aspirin
- Steroids – also called corticosteroids
- Viscosupplements: hyaluronic acid (HA), also called sodium hyaluronate or hyaluronan
- Opioids: powerful pain relievers, such as morphine
- Surgery, such as total knee replacement
When conservative approaches to treating pain due to osteoarthritis, such as physical therapy, weight loss, exercise, or pain relievers are no longer effective, alternative non-surgical treatment options may be beneficial, such as steroids or viscosupplements.
Corticosteroid injections have been used for over 45 years for their potent anti-inflammatory effects to reduce pain quickly. While steroids provide rapid pain relief, the effects are typically short-lived. In addition, they may cause additional joint damage or even severe joint destruction if given repeatedly over a long period of time.
Viscosupplements have been used globally for more than 25 years to reduce pain associated with osteoarthritis by improving the viscosity and function of the synovial fluid in the joint. While injections of HA alone can provide you with up to six weeks of pain relief, the patient does not typically experience the peak effects until 8 weeks after the final injection.
Only CINGAL® works by combining a fast-acting steroid with a long-lasting viscosupplement to deliver rapid pain relief proven to last through six months.
Benefits of Viscosupplements:
- Proven to be safe and effective
- Provide increased mobility and enhanced joint protection
- Long-lasting pain relief demonstrated to last at least through six months*
- Helps to delay total knee replacement surgery up to 3 or more years
- Improve viscoelastic properties of the synovial fluid
- Protect the surface of articular cartilage
- Well established: used for more than 25 years for the treatment of OA pain
- Steroids work by providing rapid pain relief from the symptoms of osteoarthritis and reducing inflammation.
Contact your health Care practicioner about our Osteoarthritis pain-relief products
A Powerful New Treatment for the Pain of Osteoarthritis
Cingal® is the first and only approved combination viscosupplement formulated to provide the benefit of a cross-linked hyaluronic acid (HA) and a fast-acting steroid to effectively treat the symptoms associated with osteoarthritis (OA). It is a powerful, first-in-class treatment that combines the benefits of Anika’s proprietary HA formulation of Monovisc®, proven to deliver up to 6 months of relief of the symptoms of OA, with a well-established FDA-approved steroid, triamcinolone hexacetonide (TH), to treat inflammation and provide additional short-term pain relief.1
Cingal® extends the benefits of Anika’s proprietary HA formulation to a broader range of patients across the spectrum of osteoarthritis pain.
Key Features & Benefits:
- In its 2014 pivotal clinical study, Cingal® demonstrated an ability to provide rapid and long-lasting pain relief for those affected by knee OA.1
- Steroid provides fast, short-term pain relief within days of injection1
- HA viscosupplement provides long lasting pain relief, which may last through 6 months1
- Convenient, single-injection treatment
- Highly concentrated, non-animal-based HA
- Strong safety profile in both initial injection and repeat injections1,2
A Single Injection, Lightly Cross-linked High Molecular Weight Hyaluronic Acid
Monovisc® is a single injection viscosupplement utilized to treat knee joint pain caused by osteoarthritis (OA). It is comprised of highly purified, partially cross-linked sodium hyaluronate (NaHA) in a phosphate buffered saline solution, and it is both biocompatible and resorbable.
With just one injection, Monovisc® may provide pain relief that lasts for up to 6 months.³It is the only non-animal sourced hyaluronic acid (HA) single-injection treatment approved for use in the United States, and it delivers the maximum dose of HA (88mg) currently available in any single injection treatment.
Key Features & Benefits3,4,5:
- Convenient single injection treatment
- Highly concentrated, non-animal sourced HA
- Long lasting relief through 26 weeks
- Convenience of a single injection as opposed to multiple visits to the physician
- No confirmed pseudoseptic reactions reported
A High Molecular Weight Hyaluronic Acid Injection
Orthovisc® is an ultra-pure, high molecular weight injectable hyaluronic acid (HA) viscosupplement used to treat joint pain caused by osteoarthritis. It is comprised of highly purified sodium hyaluronate (NaHA) in physiologic saline, making it both biocompatible and resorbable.
Orthovisc® provides up to 6 months of efficacy with only 3 to 4 injections.6,7 This is partially based on the product’s delivery of one of the highest concentrations of HA (15 mg/mL) currently available in a multi-injection treatment.3
Key Features & Benefits:
- Reduction in joint pain and improvement in functionality6,7
- Long-lasting results through 26 weeks6
- No confirmed pseudoseptic reactions reported8
- Natural, non-animal sourced HA
- Hangody L, Szody R, Lukasik P, et al. Intraarticular injection of a cross-linked sodium hyaluronate combined with triamcinolone hexacetonide (Cingal) to provide symptomatic relief of osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized; double-blind; place-controlled multicenter clinical trial [published online ahead of print May 1, 2017].
- Cartilage. doi: 10.1177/1947603517703732 CINGAL 13-02, an open-label, follow-on study to Cingal 13-01. Anika Therapeutics, Inc.: study sponsor, Dr. Laszlo Hangody: global principal investigator, SynteractHCR: CRO.
- MONOVISC 0702 Pivotal Clinical Trial. FDA Monovisc Summary of Safety and Effectiveness Data 2014
- Clinical Efficacy and Safety of MONOVISC. A lightly cross-linked highly concentrated hyaluronan specially formulated for single injection in osteoarthritis. White Paper Study conducted by Michael J. Daley, PhD. 2013
- Post-Approval Study of MONOVISC, A Symptomatic Treatment of Osteoarthritis, White Paper, 2012
- Brandt KD, Block JA, Michalski JP, Moreland LW, Caldwell JR, Lavin PT. Efficacy and safety of intra-articular sodium hyaluronate in knee osteoarthritis. ORTHOVISC Study Group. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2001; (385):130 – 43.
- Neustadt D, Caldwell J, Bell M, Wade J, and Gimbel J. Clinical effects of intraarticular injection of high molecular weight hyaluronan (ORTHOVISC) in osteoarthritis of the knee: A randomized, controlled, multicenter trial. J. Rheumatology 2005; (32): 1928-36.
- Anika data on file.
For any other queries, please feel free to contact our team at ANSTEM Medical