The AchilloCordPLUS is intended for acute Achilles tendon ruptures during sport, where an extended period of postoperative immobilization is undesirable. It is also suitable for the elderly or patients with a history of prolonged steroid treatment, where wound healing is often a problem after ankle surgery.
The AchilloCordPLUS is a densely woven flexible tubular structure, 5 mm in diameter and 800 mm in length. Both ends of the device are flat, allowing it to be threaded easily through the eye of a probe, which is used to pull it through soft tissue and bone tunnels.
- No need to immobilize the leg in a cast postoperatively, allowing for early rehabilitation
- Increased potential for retaining full range of motion
- Partial weight bearing and early mobilization of the leg in the immediate postoperative phase helps retain muscle bulk and strength
- Fast return to activities of daily living, retaining independence
- Return to work after an average of six weeks and return to driving after seven weeks, reducing loss of earnings
- Fast return to sport after four months, retaining fitness
- Made from polyester (polyethylene terephthalate), which has been used for ligament and tendon reconstruction for over 25 years